How To Upgrade Storage On Xbox PS3 Or PS4 By External Hard Drive
If you love to play games, then for you it is necessary to upgrade storage external Hard Drive on your Xbox One, Xbox 360, PS3 or PS4. People who enjoy playing games probably have found that you can get the best deals on games when you buy digital copies.
On top of this, popular services like Playstation Plus and Xbox Live Gold guarantee the players a couple of free upgrade storage games that they can download every month. However, the current generation of games occupies around 50GB or even more storage space and it may fill up the 500 GB hard drive of your PS4 or Xbox One real fast.
If you play games on PS 3 or Xbox 360 then the games here are not extremely big but still occupy around 10Gb if space. However, the problem here is that the hard drive for these consoles is also smaller so the storage capacity can still be a problem here too. And not to mention that we do not use our consoles only for gaming but to store music and movies as well, so it is no wonder that we always have a problem with the storage capacity.
Still, there is a bright light at the end of the tunnel because you can solve this issue by simply putting an external HDD into the USB port of the console and use this hard drive to add extra storage space. You should keep in mind that to use the external hard drive it needs to first be formatted. This translates into deleting everything it contains before using it.
If you have important data saved on that particular drive, you may wanna learn how to extract it before formatting the drive.
Xbox 360 Hard Drive
If you have Xbox 360 then you should keep in mind that it will work only with an external Hard drive that does not exceed 32 GB, in the FAT 32 File system. Due to this, it is recommended that you use a USB thumb drive, instead of an externalupgrade storage hard drive. Even though 32 GB storage does not seem as much, this storage capacity will enable you to save at least 3 full games, along with their data on one pen drive. And if you enjoy playing indie games, then you will probably be able to fit in a lot more.
However, we have already tried this and it does not work for every particular thumb drive.
Step By Step Procedure
- 1: Connect your thumb drive with your Windows Computer
- Step 2: Open My Computer and you will see the plugged-in drive’s icon. Right-click on it and select Properties. You should be able to see under the name of the drive, the file type as well. If it says FAT 32 you can skip directly to Step 7. If not, you will need to format the drive. The formatting process will delete all data on the drive, so you should back up any data you wish to keep.
- Step 3: The fastest way to convert your thumb drive to FAT 32 is to use the CMD (command prompt). Open your start menu and type in “Run”- Or just press both Windows Key + R which will show you the run dialogue box.
- Step 4. Type in the box CMD and press enter
- Step 5: In the next windows which will be shown, type in these texts without the quote marks: “format /FS: FAT32 X:” (Note: you need to change X with the name of the drive).
The name of the drive is listed in the My Computer Window. Remember to type in the correct name because once you confirm the command the process is non-reversible.
- Step 6: You will be prompted to press enter when you start the program. You may wanna double-check the name of the drive you have entered just to make sure. This will complete the process and you can check the file system of the drive whether it is FAT 32 as described in Step 2 to confirm.
- Step 7: Now, if you want to use the thumb drive, simply eject it from your computer and plug it in into your Xbox 360.
- Step 8: Head over to System SettingsàMemoryàUSB StorageàConfigure Now. Wait while the configuring process is complete. After that, you can use your USB drive to store or save games, demos, etc…
You want to format an external HDD to FAT 32 which you can use with your Xbox 360. You can simply follow again the steps from 1-6. On your HDD drive, you can save music and movies from the Xbox 360 automatically. This will turn your Xbox 360 into a console and music player as well. Still, note that you will not be able to use more than 32 GB space for storing games.
Upgrade Storage PS3 Hard Drive
PS 3 is also capable of recognizing FAT 32 drives and to upgrade storage, so you just need to follow the 1-6 steps. Once you have formatted to FAT 32. It will be required to do one more thing before you can use your hard drive with your console.
- Once you have completed formatting the drive to FAT 32, go to My Computer and open the drive
- Create these folders: Video, Game, Music, and Photo. You can fill up the entire folder except for Game with the media content you will later want to access from your PS 3.
Back up a game:
- Once you have connected the HDD with your PS 3, head to Settings-System Settings-Backup Utility-Backup
- Click Confirm and then select the USB Drive and all of your PS3 entries will be backed on the HDD. Note that the backup may take some time.
- If you wish to recover backed up game. Turn on your PS 3 and go to Game-Saved Data Utility and Select the external HDD
- Now browse through the list and select the game which you wish to import. Press the triangle button of your PS controller and select Copy. In this way, you will copy the backup onto the PS3 and you can play it again.
Xbox One Hard Drive
The latest gaming consoles generation is very similar to computers and using an extra external Hard Drive is simple. However, if you have the Xbox one you should note that the HDD must support USB 3.0 and it has to be at least 256 GB.
- If you want to use the HDD, first connect it to your Xbox One console. You will be prompted whether you want to format the HDD
- You must select Yes if you want to use the HDD.
Upgrade Storage PS4 Hard Drive
On PS4 you cannot save games to the external HDD. You can connect external HDD into the PS4 and store your media content such as your music or movies. If you have a premium account to get for free by PSN Code Generator unlimited games. Then this storage will be very small for you. Also, you can copy videos from the PS4 to the HDD.
So you can see up your gameplay footage without having to worry that it may occupy the console’s storage space. But, you cannot save games to the external HDD with the PS4. Ever since the PS4 is compatible with USB 3.0 if you use HDD which comes with USB 3.0. Then the data transfer will be much faster. But if you use older HDD’s then it will not be a problem too.
I sincerely hope that this short article will help you to clear up space on your gaming console. If you have questions or you have some useful tips on how to free space. The latest gaming consoles. Feel free to share it with us in the comment section.